Naproxen is a popular and effective over-the-counter medication available to treat pain and inflammation in people. For cats, naproxen can easily exceed toxic levels. The most common cause of naproxen toxicity is a well-meaning owner who gives the medication without knowing the toxic dose. The initial toxic effect is bleeding stomach ulcers.
Category First aid for cats
Metaldehyde poisoning results from the ingestion of products containing the active ingredient metaldehyde, a common ingredient used in molluscicides, which are products used to kill snails and slugs. Slug and snail baits generally contain three percent metaldehyde and products are formulated as blue or green colored pellets, powder, liquid or granules.
Nicotine is a poisonous alkaloid derived from the tobacco plant and used in medicine and as an insecticide. Nicotine is found in a variety of sources, primarily cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco, nicotine gum, nicotine inhalers, nicotine patches nicotine nasal spray and nicotine insecticides.
A variety of insecticides are used to reduce the numbers of insects on our crops and soils and prevent and treat flea infestations. Carbamates and organophosphates are two such chemicals and are found in flea collars, fly, ant and roach baits as well as topical flea products. As with any insecticide, overexposure or misuse of the chemical can result in toxicity.
Zinc toxicity is a fairly uncommon disorder that is caused by the ingestion of zinc-containing foreign bodies. Zinc toxicity is most commonly seen in young dogs. Zinc is directly irritating to the stomach lining so it may cause gastrointestinal irritation. The most common causes of zinc toxicity include ingestion of: Pennies minted after 1982.
Many medications are available without a prescription. These are referred to as "over-the-counter" medications and include treatments for headaches, stomachaches, stuffy noses, diarrhea and pain. They are sold in grocery stores, pharmacies or convenience stores. It is quite tempting to give some of this medication to your pet.
Did you know that mothballs can be toxic to pets? Commonly found in closets around the world, mothballs are typically used to repel moths and prevent them from destroying clothing. As little as one mothball can potentially result in significant illness in a small dog or an average-sized cat. Mothballs usually contain naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene and can be formulated into cakes, balls, or flakes.
Many people are familiar with glow jewelry sold at carnivals, fairs and novelty stores. But when we take the jewelry home, we may have a problem: our inquisitive pets may chew on the jewelry. The active ingredient in most glow jewelry and other glow in the dark products is dibutyl phthalate. This substance has low toxicity and there has not been a report of an animal poisoned by it's ingestion.
Your cat is at risk for injury from hundreds of commonly-used home medicines and chemicals. Many home owners are unaware of these potential home hazards, and thousands of cats are injured or die each year due to exposure to these substances. In this article, we consider five common household items that may pose a risk to your cat.
Flowers and plants add beauty to any holiday, and they make great holiday gifts. But if your family includes pets, you may want to learn which plants are safe and which ones you need to avoid. Remember that ingesting bulb plants often cause the most severe illnesses. Here are a list of some popular winter holiday plants and their potential toxicities.
Curiosity can indeed kill the cat. Our feline friends are constantly exploring their surroundings, harnessing their natural instincts to investigate and honing their hunting skills. Unfortunately, cats’ propensity for discovery can easily get them in trouble. There’s a myth floating around that cats are less susceptible to poisoning than dogs thanks to their more discriminate eating tendencies, but that’s simply not the case.
Veterinary care is an essential, albeit sometimes expensive, part of proper cat care. You can never put a price on the health of your feline friend, but, just as you don’t rush to the doctor for every little ailment you get, you shouldn’t need to bring your cat to the vet every time she has a minor issue.
There are hundreds of items your pet can get access to. Some things are highly toxic and others are non-toxic. This article is a guide to help you determine if a particular item is a problem and link you on to more in-depth information. If you think your pet may have been exposed to a toxin, the best thing to do is to check the label of the item you think your pet ingested.
The warmer temperatures that accompany summer and fall provide us with the opportunity to spend time outdoors with our pets, but the weather can be unpredictable and pet parents need to prepare for the worst. Depending on where you live, summer and fall can bring on loads of rain, which can lead to flash floods or hurricanes.
A quick stroll down the lawn and garden section of your local nursery can reveal many potential pet hazards. Caution in storing these products and limiting your pet's access to them can help ensure a beautiful lawn and healthy pets. Various insecticides are used to reduce the number of annoying and damaging insects.
As something to drink, carpet shampoo holds no appeal for most people. For you, the product's value is simply the way it cleans the mess your cat occasionally makes when she knocks something over. However, your cat may have the philosophy of “nothing ventured, nothing gained” - and poison herself tasting the liquid.
Toenail problems in cats are common and fortunately, are rarely life threatening. The most common problem that affects the toenail is a torn or broken nail. You might not even notice a torn nail until you see blood or your cat begins to limp or cry. As there is a significant blood supply to the base of the nail, bleeding is common.
Cats love plants. Though they're strict carnivores, cats like to eat plants even though doing so can make them ill. The consequences can range from simple vomiting to liver failures, seizures and even death. And while most animal species learn to stay away from things that make them sick, cats will eat plants over and over with the same results.
What should you do if you are bitten by a cat? Cat bites are reported less often than dog bites however the number of cat bites that occur each year is believed to be high. Dog bite numbers are recorded as follows. According to the Centers for Disease Control, over 800,000 are bitten by dogs every year.
As winter approaches, we get our winter clothes out of storage, weatherproof our homes and limit our activity outdoors. We also begin to prepare for winter holidays. In addition to preparing ourselves for winter, providing a safe environment for our pets is also important. Outdoor Threats Some products that are used in the cold, icy wintertime have the potential to cause injury or illness to our pets.
Holidays, birthdays and even the occasional apology all have something in common – flowers. Cut flowers are a popular gift and are often found in the home. However, sometimes your pet may find the flowers very tempting and quite tasty. Listed below are 15 of the most popular cut flowers and their level of toxicity.